Sunday, February 10, 2008

Murakami at the MOCA

Dear BlAbby,

I've been sitting on my ass lately thinking about what I should be doing instead, to feel a little more cultured. Any thoughts?

Well, although you will rarely find me at a museum, today I went to the Murakami exhibit at the MOCA and it was pretty cool. I had first heard of this artist through a newsletter about his line of LV bags. Although I'm not a fan of that brand (sorry all females of the world) I was intrigued when I had read that Murakami is "arguably the most internationally acclaimed artist to emerge from Asia in the postwar era" - I figured I should take advantage of this opportunity. My favorite piece was called 727 show below.

I was most intrigued by his short films.

One was an animated film called kaikai and kiki about two friends who learn to grow watermelons in poop. The other short I loved was about this alien like creature called Inochi who experienced some humorous coming-of-age situations. I seemed to be the only non-art connoisseur giggling away. Check it out.