Monday, September 7, 2009

Cell Phones as the New Cigarette

BEFORE
When I was in college I recall students who smoked cigarettes were easily brought together; it was a quick and easy way to socialize with people you didn't know who had something in common with you. It gave you something to do when you had nothing better to do- I assume. By now we are all used to people moving through their daily lives with their cell phones glued to their face, but have you noticed that in those awkward social situations where people aren't talking to each other, they run to the comfort of their phones to text or browse the Internet? I'm guilty too. The other day I was waiting in line (for kogibbq tacos) and everybody who didn't have anybody to talk to just clicked away on the phones... I get it, you have so much to do, and so little time that it's efficient OR is it that you don't want to stare blankly into space? Then I was at a party and several guys were sitting around being anti-social doing the same. I wonder if anybody is pretend texting? I imagine in their minds they are saying "I may not have a lot of friends here, but I have a lot of friends in my phone and I'm going to prove it by texting them now". It has become the new safety net, and everybody can be part of it.

PS - This is not about smokers, this is about social awkwardness and how texting has helped save people in those moments. Yes, I understand that you real smokers out there smoke for "real" reasons that has nothing to do with giving yourself something to do.

AFTER

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guilty, I do this all the time and joke about it. Smoking saved for years but since it’s been 4 months since I quit (yes again) I use my blackberry as a social crutch. I text, look up stupid things on Google, or I play blackjack all to avoid social interactions with people or to avoid stating at peoples feet. It’s silly but mostly it’s sad. Why can’t I just talk to a stranger and say hello? Why can I not just sit there and stare off into space? Why must I rely on my new bff, my pinkberry as I like to call her? You are so right on with this blog. -Nanette