Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What’s Your Professional Title?

I recently received an email regarding the speakers for this year’s PSFK Conference being held in NY and thought to myself… “What in the world do these people do for a living!” with titles like this. First a giggle, then a bit of intrigue, and even a little jealousy! Revolutionary, Builder, Pioneer, Visionary, Theorist, Futurist… do you sense a pattern here? And for my favorite - Dream Creator! In the old days your title helped to define your role within your company and/or industry – both your function your level of expertise. This made me think about what my title says to others about me - Associate Project Director. While I couldn’t say I have the slightest clue as to what is so pioneering about Nick the Publisher, I’m also pretty sure you wouldn’t have the slightest clue as to what I do for a living based off my title (if you weren’t in my industry).

So how important are professional titles and what do they say about us? Are we moving away from standard and traditional towards creativite?

No comments: