Saturday, April 18, 2009

Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover

Moms and Dads around the world have echoed these words "don't judge a book by it's cover" many times, yet old and young people alike still do it. Paul Potts and Susan Boyle fill me with so much emotion that I want to burst into tears. 100% of me is happy for them, while the other 100% of me is angry, and that 200% is why I want to burst. What do Paul and Susan have in common? These are 2 great singers that auditioned on the reality show Britain's Got Talent. They have both been judged for the way they look, getting immediate scrutiny and extreme surprise simply because they can sing. The scowls from the audience members and the comments from the hosts include comments such as "I think we've got a case of a little lump of coal here..."a frog that will turn into a prince..." and "without a doubt the biggest surprise..." Never ever has a good voice been correlated with the way a person looks or what job they may have, so why the extreme surprise? Maybe pop-stars and shows like American Idol have created that perception, however it saddens me.

Everybody from the New York Times to Oprah and little bloggers like me are talking. She was even #1 on Google Trends. I can't embed the video but you can google or youtube her - yes, those are verbs now.

No comments: