Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When is it Time to Redefine the Newsroom?

Over 5 years ago I noticed that news reporters were transforming their style from suits and ties to "business casual". I mainly noticed women wearing tighter "sexier" clothes with more vibrant hair and makeup. I have accepted that it's the standard now, people like to watch (or hopefully listen) to them, maybe we feel more comfortable now that we can relate on a casual and personal level - who really knows - but it seems as though it's here to stay. See before and after below. Even the before image may have been step #2 when we lost the button-down dress shirt, and moved to a tank top under a blazer.



Now that we have jumped that hurdle, I think it's time for somebody to step up and redesign the newsroom. Typically sitting at big oval desks, surrounded by bright blue lights and shades of brown and grey - lots of TVs and things that signify technology.
Why is this the norm? I feel it's quite uninviting. What about a physical transformation - something clean and modern or possibly artistic. Maybe even edgy, or something that resembles your living room. Would that catch my eye and revitalize it for me?




No comments: