Monday, August 17, 2009

A Date With Redbox

I recently began using Redbox which is basically a DVD vending machine. Movies cost $1 as long as you return it the following day by 9pm. If you're late, they charge you a dollar a day; not too bad compared to a $5 movie from Blockbuster. So far I'm a fan because it's cheap and walking distance, however I'm not totally sold on the selection. There are action movies and major releases however they don't seem to rotate often. As long as people start to catch on, I'm sure they will be able to expand their selection. I believe you can also reserve your DVD online before picking it up. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here.

This got me thinking, will there ever be a technology that can quickly produce your DVD on the spot, allowing you to select anything you want? That would be cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's called netflix: watch it now / streaming movies or on demand (but you need a cable box for this). At the touch of a button you can have any movie for like 4-5 dollars and get it for 24 hrs. I think we are getting to used to the convenience deal, I mean how fun is it to walk around blockbuster? Seriously.
-Nanette

ricky said...

Redbox may be taking a big hit... I hate this.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/14/the-movie-studios-have-a-great-idea-to-ramp-up-piracy-and-blockbuster-wants-to-help/

Amanda said...

Nanette - The $4-$5 price for only 24 hrs would not work for me as I would forget to watch it and then lose the movie and the money. I do enjoy walking around Blockbuster to make impulse purchases at times but I would prefer browsing online for convenience as you stated.

Ricky - thanks for sharing that interesting article, I was unaware that Blockbuster was also entering the kiosk market. I can't imagine that Redbox and Netflix would be restricted to 30 day old movies; I'm shocked. I'm sure this will cause a big stir as the article states, and an upsurge in piracy.