Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Alexander McQueen: Fashion is Just a Medium of Expression


This is a page from Alexander McQueen's book "Savage Beauty" which reads "I want to empower women. I want people to be afraid of the women I dress. When you see a woman wearing McQueen, there's a certain hardness to the clothes that makes her look powerful. It kind of fends people off. It's almost like putting armor on a woman. It's a very psychological way of dressing." On another page it reads "For me, what I do is an artistic expression which is channeled through me. Fashion is just the medium." And when you visit his website on the homepage it reads "Experience". 

This was a man who truly understood what it meant to be a brand. It's not the clothes themselves that sell, it's the experience.... the psychology behind how the brand makes you feel is what you're paying for, and McQueen was a man who truly understood how to tap into that psychology and deliver on it through visual expression.

No comments: