Thursday, June 16, 2011

Welcome to the Future: Buying Coffee through an iPad App

I'm at my new favorite coffee shop, Coffee Commissary in West Hollywood, and just paid for my coffee with an iPad app. They placed my order through the app, swiped my card in a card reader, and had me sign the screen with my finger. Then the app asked if I wanted a receipt emailed to me (to which I declined), and a friendly note thanked me with an image of a coffee displayed on the screen.

I expect we'll be seeing this a lot more often soon, but I'm wondering who will take the lead in moving this technology to the next step. Maybe I can order my coffee myself through the app, ship my mom some beans, share my contact info with the shop, rate my coffee, see a list of the most frequently ordered drinks, friend them on facebook, etc. Perhaps I have a future in building iPad apps too.

This is the future. Simple and progressive with integrated design. In a society where consumers seek to be an active participant and engaged with their brands I imagine this is a new point of contact where it can easily happen.


No comments: