Friday, October 3, 2008

ESPN Astro Turf Ads



On the corner of Cahuenga Blvd. and Hollywood Blvd. is an ESPN ad for Monday night football. I've never seen anything like this, it's made out of fake grass so if you touch it the ad sticks out a few inches. I took a bad picture with my camera phone and went back to take a better one later however it was no longer there :( I looked online to find a pic and found tons of stories surrounding the subject of theft... apparently I'm one of many people who really enjoyed it but now they are being stolen left and right. I'm sure this has been quite costly for the brand however it may be worth the extra attention - what do you think? They are even running similar ads in print which is where I pulled this image from however it would have been really spectacular if it was also made out of a special pop-out material like green felt or something along those lines.

1 comment:

Alan said...

I would imagine in crowded outdoor advertising environs like Times Square in NY and along Hollywood Blvd in LA, a gimmic like bright neon, LCD, 3-D, or texture such as grass helps the ad to stand out. It's a clever idea, but I think the ratings for MNF are still down.