Saturday, October 18, 2008

Happy Ads Make Me Mad (Sometimes)

I was reading this depressing article about the train crash and saw this image of a happy girl. Now I know it says "advertisement" in the upper left corner of the image but for some reason I didn't see that right away and thought to myself "oh my god, what does this happy girl have to do with this story." When I realized it was an ad (and I still don't know what for, I assume t-shirts) I still felt it was inappropriate. I'm sure these are randomly placed but it just didn't fit the story and it seemed so useless. This reminds me of when you're watching a TV show and something really sad or dramatic happens... a tornado just swooped up your favorite character who may possibly never walk again and then it cuts away to the thicker quicker picker upper, Bounty. It just screws you all up inside because one second your like "gasp, oh my god" and the next second you're like "what the f is this crap that just threw my emotions all out of whack!" I'm sure you know how I feel... I think that advertisements randomly placed in the middle of an article or even during a commercial break need to take the storyline or context into greater consideration in order to not piss people off or have them tune out.

No comments: