Friday, October 3, 2008

Luchador Masks


Dear Blabby,
I've been seeing these crazy masks everywhere, what the heck is going on?
Lucha Libre (not the movie) is a form of Mexican wrestling in which the wrestlers wear these masks that cover their faces... yes, you may have seen a few of them in my apartment. In the past year it's become quite a Hipster symbol - not totally sure why yet but maybe it's the mysteriousness of them, the unfamiliarity, the humor, the cultural association? First there was Lucha Va Voom http://www.luchavavoom.com/ which was this awesome wresting match that took place in Downtown Los Angeles. Then, I noticed it with Monster Massive http://www.monstermassive.com/ - an electronic music festival, and lastly, I saw some posters in the liquor store window for the energy drink Full Throttle. I'm sure there are plenty more examples, but I feel that has become a modern and relevant symbol for youth culture in the past year and I imagine you may start seeing them around town more often.

No comments: